At Simonside, we aim to develop confident, enthusiastic mathematicians, who have a deep understanding of the key areas of this subject. Throughout their time at Simonside, we aim to support children in developing:
- An enthusiasm and enjoyment for maths and awareness that maths is fun
- A positive attitude to mathematics, where they see it as an interesting and valuable subject
- An ability to think clearly and logically in mathematics with confidence, independence of thought and flexibility of mind
- An understanding of mathematics through a process of inquiry and experiment
- Persistence through a sustained piece of work, working both cooperatively, collaboratively and independently
- Confidence in mathematics which will allow children to express ideas fluently, talk about the subject using the language of mathematics.
- An appreciation of when a task should be done quickly in one’s head and when it is reasonable to resort to an aid such as a calculator, pencil and paper or equipment
- An understanding of the importance of mathematics in everyday life
Our calculation policy shows how we teach the skills of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division from EYFS to the end of Year 6. These documents outline how equipment is used to support deeper understanding of mathematical concepts before moving children on to more formal written methods in maths.
Additional Information for Parents/Carers: